First you have to ask yourself if it’s worth it – for instance:
- has it got enough memory (2gb or more)
- is the processor good enough (2mhz or better)
- is there 6gb or more free disk space on your hard drive
If you answered “Yes” to all the above questions you can then safely install Ubuntu (Linux) onto your PC/Laptop.
You can install it either as the ONLY operating system on your PC or change your PC to become a dual boot system; where you have to answer (at boot time) which system to use (a Ubuntu screen where both Ubuntu and Windows are the choices).
By using dual boot you can then when you need to re-boot and use Windows for example for your scanner – that is – if you can’t find the Linux driver for it.
Linux Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS will automatically install:
- Rhythmbox – Music Player
- Shotwell – Photo Manager
- GIMP – Image Editor
- PiTiVi – Video Editor
- FireFox – Web Browser
- Thunderbird – Email reader
- LibraOffice – similar to OpenOffice Word, Excel, PowerPoint …
Ubuntu offers thousands of apps available for download from the software center. Most are available for free and can be installed with just a few clicks.